Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 24, 2011- "I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine." - Caskie Stinnett

I did not sleep well last night. Before bed I was very tired but once I laid down I stayed awake all night. Ashley and I got up at 8 and got ready. Then the 3 of us went to the school and used the internet to check email and update social networks. My boyfriend, Chris, was online and I finally got to talk to him. Unfortunately the internet disconnect us….hopefully we will be able to Skype soon. I miss him.
I then decided to walk back to the apartment for lunch so I didn’t spend money. The girls were in class so I had the place to myself. I opened our window and ate my homemade pasta in the fresh Italian air. Then I packed my bag and went to my first class.


I was the first person into my Survey of Italian Renaissance and Mannerist Art class. Our whole class consisted of 5 girls and out professor. My professor is originally from Norway but has lived in Italy for 25 years. Her Italian is beautiful with a Norwegian accent, it is very unique. She is a tall woman with a very thin pointed face and high cheek bones. She has one lazy eye and high eyebrows. Her hair was very short and all cut sharply at the same length. She is very interesting to me. At the start of class I was a little bored and intimidated and considered switching to another class. It reminded me of a class I took my freshman year of college. But once we got past the technical parts, she pulled up slides of paintings and sculptures that we were able to discuss and compare and contrast. I really enjoyed that and became very interested in the art. Our class then went to the art museum in the center of town. It was beautiful and the building was very medieval. We looked at many different interpretations of Christ on the cross. This class is going to be very difficult. Within the 5 weeks I have 3 papers, a presentation, 2 tests and over 100 pages of reading a week. By the end we will be given a painting or sculpture and will need to know who did it, where they were from, what is it made of, when they made it and the meaning behind it.
After class I tried to contact some family in Italy but the number would not go through. So I went back to the school to send them a message. I hope to visit them soon.


Once again, Jill, Ashley and I could not get the stove to work so we decided to go out to eat. We went across the street to the place Jill and I got our Panini’s the first day. Jill got pizza and Ashley and decided to try the kebob wrap. This is the best thing I have eaten so far. He carved the meat off a spit right in front of us and the juices were literally dripping off the meat. He put it on a wrap with fresh lettuce, tomato, and onion along with a zesty sauce. I am hungry just thinking about it.
After dinner we got invited to go out at 11 so we got dressed and headed out for the night. We got to bed around 2.

1 comment:

  1. I bet the art class will be very very interesting. It is one thing to read about it , but to then be able to see it will be amazing

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, if you don't get a notice saying that I received the comment click the 'post' button again! Thank you!!!