Tuesday, June 14, 2011

June 12, 2011 "The world is all gates, all opportunites, strings of tension waiting to be struck." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today was insane. After crazy dreams about being held hostage, saving the day, McDonalds and teaching, I got up at 9:30. Jill and I decided to go to church at the local Duomo. I got all dressed up and church was at 11:30.
I have seen a lot of churches in my time here but this one was my favorite. It had the “wow” factor of an ancient church but it still felt like a holy place of worship. Jill and I found a seat toward the back and watched as many different types of people came in. The organ player was my favorite. He was a little squirrely man with glasses that magnified his eyes, a hunch back and an interesting way of moving and talking.
A bell tolled and everyone stood. A cardinal was giving mass today. Instead of coming up the aisle like in America, they came in from the front. Mass was confusing, of course, because it was in Italian but I could follow what part we were at. I wish I could have understood the cardinal because he seemed like a very good speaker. My favorite part of was the choir. They sounded heavenly when their voices echoed off the big walls. I just closed my eyes as they filled my ears and I inhaled the incents.
The most confusing part was communion. In America, there is an order and people file out of their pews. In Italy, it is a free-for-all…yet somehow it works. Giving the sign of peace, I just mumbled as I shook hands….hey, it’s the thought that counts.



After we left we went to the cafĂ© for a cappuccino and pastry….delicious as always. We then went to the apartment. I got changed, we waited for Ashley to get ready and then we went to Ciao Ciao’s for lunch. I got a pancetta panino with zucchini, eggplant and pesto on it. We ate outside until the school opened at 2.
From 2-5 we used the internet and put up pictures. We had giggling fits all day, probably because we actually slept last night. We got bored sitting in the library so we went to the market.
We got cannoli’s (we were fatties today) and sat at the overlook of Perugia to eat them. I can’t believe this is my life right now.
As I was walking I dropped my money and it went everywhere in the road. I was basically lying on the ground trying to get it and all three of us where laughing hysterically. The Italians must have some great stories from us visiting Americans.
When we got back the room we hung and talked for a while and then decided that we wanted kebabs. I told we ate a lot today. Jill tried a new drink. It was disgusting. It smelled like medicine and had a 10% alcohol content. We dumped it out but kept the cool looking glass container.
Things are winding down but we are still giggly. Bed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, if you don't get a notice saying that I received the comment click the 'post' button again! Thank you!!!